Zespri® Kiwifruit Wedges with Prawn Masak Lemak
- 2 Zespri® Green Kiwifruit, cut into wedges
- 300 g medium – large prawns, left unshelled
- 1 red chilli cut into 2 cm slices
- 5 – 6 bird chillies
- 5 shallots (50 g), sliced
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- 1 cm ginger, sliced
- 1 cm turmeric root, sliced
- 1 turmeric leaf, tied into a knot
- 1 stalk lemon grass, bruised
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 150 ml water
- 200 ml thick coconut milk
- Salt to taste
Developed exclusively for Zespri by popular Malaysian chef Rohani Jelani
Trim prawn heads (and remove sand sac). Split prawns down the back and remove sand track – leave shells on. Rinse briefly and drain well in colander.
Place red and bird chillies, shallots, garlic, ginger and turmeric in an electric blender. Add ¼ cup water and grind to a fine paste.
Heat oil in a medium size pan over moderate heat. Add the ground paste and lemon grass, fry until mixture is fragrant and a little dry (about 5 minutes). Add 150ml water and 100ml of the coconut milk. Bring mixture to boil and add prawns, turmeric leaf and salt to taste. Cook mixture gently for 8 – 10 minutes or until prawns are pink and firm.
Add remaining coconut milk and boil mixture gently before adding kiwifruit. Cook, stirring gently all the time to prevent the coconut milk from curdling. Turn off heat after 5 minutes.
Serve with hot rice.